The Gandan Monastery is a Tibetan Buddhist monastery. Its name can be translated as “The Great Place of Full Joy”. Currently, several hundred monks reside there. It houses a statue of Megjid-Janraiseg 26,5 meters high. Megjid-Janraiseg is a Bodhisattva, a wise man who guides men on the path of Truth. He represents compassion.
This monastery was built in 1809 under the name of Shar sum («the yellow monastery») by the fifth Javzandamba, the highest lama in the hierarchy of the Mongolian clergy of the time. It was located in the center of Ulaanbaatar. It was in 1838 that it was moved to its present location on the hill of Dalkha and was renamed “Gandan”. It thus became the main religious center of Tantric Buddhism in Mongolia, with many colleges (Buddhism, Astrology, Medicine) created over time.